Monday, October 01, 2007




"A Firm grip on Life" This is my personal favorite in this series along with the "angry wife and sleepy husband" LOL.













"The Couple"


Both are watercolours on watercolour paper, in chinese brush painting style,
approximately A4 21x30cm

Part of my series practicing painting birds in this style. A huge thanks to Yang O-shi which has fantastic instructions that makes a Westerner dare to approach this very special style in painting. Her birds are of course more realistic and serious - mine tend to end up more individuals with semihuman personalities more than representatives for a certain species.

That is great for me because I dream of one day making a storybook with characters from the animal kingdom - kind of semicartoonish. This bird painting practice can be one tiny step towards reaching that goal. Each bird kind of "happens" when that bird is painted. To build a character I will also need to be able to reproduce that character and in many different poses and versions. That I have not the skills to do so my journey goes on - learning more each day which is the lovely part.





Today I have purchase inquiry for all of my birds this far. It warms an artist's heart that others enjoy her work.

2 comments:

Donn said...

WOW, what lovely paintings! Love your bird paintings and the way you did them. Found your site from Wet Canvas and Chinese Brush Painting.
Love the CBP way of art. I have done a little. Visit my Flickr at http://flickr.com/photos/waysidejourney . I may have a few on my blog.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Love the character in your birds and want to encourage you to go for making a story illustrated with these wonderful bird paintings. If I may make a suggestion of something that has worked really well for me, make a oil clay models of the characters in your story and paint looking at them.