Monday, February 18, 2008

In so many situations throughout history women have had to wait paitently. To be asked to dance, to avoid being left waiting "on the shelf", to be able to buy the neccessities for the family in the former East block countries, for their husbands, the hunters, the fishermen to come home, waiting in harems or other secluded womens parts of the house for the lord and master to clal them.. . . . Feel free to fill in more examples yourself.

25 years ago a grown lady I know asked a man "When will it ever be my turn?". The answer was "Your turn will never come. You must take it yourself".

I am happy as a mother of a daughter that times has changed - that the next generation of girls is not waiting for any Prince Charming or for someone to be kind enough to give them what they deserve. They go out and take it as their right. The girls in my class demands their rights and even though it makes my work harder, my soul rejoices becausae they are able to stand up for themselves.

I hope you like my interpretation of this subject. I did not want to make it horrible to wait so I also chose to use warm colours and hopefully also create an image of the solidarity between women.
As usual I do not want to show the figures in any detail simply because I want them to symbolise anyone of us, no matter what class or social standing or nationality or whatever.

Patiently Waiting In Line,
medium: acrylics on canvas panel
size: 18x24cm
$100

p&p with International Priority Mail is FREE

2 comments:

Lori McNamara said...

Nice one Trine! I love the concept too, there are always interesting conversations while waiting. And sometimes new friends. It makes me recall some of the interesting lines I was in and some of worry-some waits I have had. (waiting for a male of course to come home!) Do they worry about us when we are away? ;)

Trine said...

Of course it's the males we wait for LOL. I do not think they worry that much.

But as you say many a waiting time has built lovely friendships whether we were waiting for our child to be born, for our dear ones to get in to the doctor or for the doctor to tell us how our dear ones were.