Thursday, January 17, 2008

Waiting and Hoping,
oil on canvas panel
size: 18x24cm
SOLD


All income from the sale of this painting will go directly to Equality Now
One thing I feel very strongly about is women's rights around the globe and as some of you have noticed that shines through some of my works. I was fortunate to be born in what UN has said is the best country to be born in. But Still most of my life has been influenced by traditional female limitations. Getting divorced and raising two children took almost all energhy for about 15 years. Loose Pelvis Syndrom did not help either.

I am lucky, most women do not have my advantages. Who you get married to matters enourmously and divorce is usually not an option. I chose to dress this waiting girlwoman in red because that is the traditional bridal colour in many Asian countries. Traditional marriages is not uncommonly arranged marriages too in many parts of the world and also in the West due to immigration. What are the feelings of these girls being put up on those pidestalls for the weeding days? What do they hope for - what are their dreams?

Please check out Equality Now which is a wonderful women's organisation which works much in the same way as Amnersty International

1 comments:

blh said...

The woman's body language is so expressive of her feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. I like the way that her face is hidden and perhaps even her hair is hidden, too, by a snood or by something like one. She is so anonymous that she can be any woman, but she has involved me emotionally in her situation enough that I hope that she is at least going to marry a good man! Thank you, Trine, for donating the proceeds of this painting to Equality Now! I had never even heard of the organization before, so you have done women in general a service!