Monday, September 08, 2008

As the autumn gets stronger day by day bringing autumn rain, darkness and cold weather I very much appreciate living in a warm house living in a country where it takes a lot to become homeless.

Several times during the last 2 years of financial problems in the US, I have heard American aquintances say that yes, it is true: Many are only a couple of paychecks or weeks away from big problems being able to handle basic bills like mortage or rent. I also had a dear friend struggle very hard for a time to get a new job and managing by selling off everything he could on ebay. He also told me how bad he felt for his kids.

I hoped to comment some on that issue by painting someone walking around to keep warm. It was painted for enjoyment as part of my month of painting for fun, yes, but my muse directed me into a subject matter that is very serious.




Homeless and Freezing
acrylics on paper
27x35cm
$100 which will go entirely to the Salvation army.

p&p worldwide is FREE

Quotes related to the topic

We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty. - Mother Teresa

I mean, I don't think I'm alone when I look at the homeless person or the bum or the psychotic or the drunk or the drug addict or the criminal and see their baby pictures in my mind's eye. You don't think they were cute like every other baby? - Dustin Hoffman

Seven out of 10 Americans are one paycheck away from being homeless. - Pras Michel

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? - Mohandas Gandhi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In an earlier entry you wrote that someone had hurt you. Now, you seem to be "going after" Americans. Did an American hurt you? Be that as it may, the entire world is having problems nowadays, not just the United States, which is the only country that you have specifically mentioned, I believe.
I would like to know why you now seem to be so anti-American. I am merely curious.

Trine said...

Dear anonymous
First of all, I do not know the nationality of that person who sent me a negative comment so naturally I did not connect it with any nationality at all, and even if I knew him to be American I would not dream of thinking anything in general about a whole nation from one person. In addition he has a right to his views as well as you and I , and I respect that.

Secondly, I can not see that I in any way "go after" Americans in my post. In our news every day as well as on our stock markets etc we hear about and see how the American and international economy is struggling. It is a fact that there has been and it a crisis especially connected to the mortage banks. I refered to friends and aquintances that are American and who themselves are stressed out by the situation.

In short, having struggled all my life myself as a single provider for my kids, I emphatized and I care about people and especially parents feeling the non security of not knowing for sure that you will be able to provide as well as you want for your children.

So again dear anonymous, I am sorry that you misunderstood me.

I very much hope that 2009 will be the year that stuggling Americans as well struggling people from other countries will have an easier life.

Trine