Sunday, October 14, 2007

I started by putting away my stuff at the Residence La Contessina Via Faenza 71n (my apartment). http://www.residenceinflorence.com/ Here you will see images of the place including my kitchen and my bed and get all the other info you could want about a place with lovely service and landlady.

With my small nylon backpack I then went out to explore. I totally love markets so since I could see one close by according to the map, I naturally headed in that direction. The first market stalls are always fun and I enjoyed myself a lot. The only thing that disappointed me after a while in Florence was that very little of things in the stalls were original crafts - 99 % was factory made so those selling rarely had had anything to do with production which I found a pity. Initially I had believed it to be one market place but after a few days I realised that most of the historical part of Florence had these stalls - lots of glass jewellery, leather and that special porcelaine was what you saw the most. Some also had handmade books kind of things. Besides from leather SHAWLS were what was sold everywhere. I must admit I ended up bringing home a few LOL - thinking LOL that I could use some as table cloths if I ended up not wearing them. had to do some shopping you know LOL and since I am not into leather and gold . . . .





There were also quite a few street artists around - most of them painted city or Tuscan landscapes in watercolour. This one spray painted. I also got a nice talk with one of the watercolour artists in this market area.

















Strolling around I ended up passing the Duomo - The Saint Mary Cathedral - Duomo cattedrale di santa Maria del fiore (in Italian). http://www.duomofirenze.it/storia/storia_eng.htm


These two pages will tell you all about it much better than I can. Definately a place I will study much closer on a later trip. Then I will also walk to the top of either the dome or the tower on the side, 4oosomething steps at the top but a wonderful view I was told. I did the top of the St Peter church in Rome and The Doumo in Milano. Definately worth it.


I did not go inside this day but the next day. Just taking in and walking among all those incredible buildings was more than enough for a first day, travel weary too.


The street seller ladies were very busy here and I must admit that this lady was quite good at it and I ended up with a couple of things LOL.



I kept walking towards the river and stopped for dinner at la Piazza della Signora. For more info and better close ups of the famous statues here, use the link.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_della_Signoria

As you can see there is a mixtue of the old and the new.

0 comments: