Sunday, January 21, 2007

I always love to see step by step myself so i thought I would show others this one. This hedgehog was made by applying many layers, one on top of the other to try to create the feeling of muliti layer prickly fur. I iwll show you only three steps here. The very first step is to get an idea which I got from Lori Leidig this time. Her photo was of an African hedgehog I think. The I started studying images of hedgehogs through books and goggle. This phase is often very time consuming and LOL i sometimes wonder what the librarian think when I arrive at his desk with 12 bird books or something like that just to return for 7 books about cats the next week.

The reason I use many many images and many many books is that I want to get the charachteristics and at the same time avoid as much similarity to any photo as possible. I am fortunate to have lots of lovely friends online which freely allow me to use their photos as inspiration or reference too. You are all great and I really appreciate it. These things are very important because I try my very best to avoid breaking any copyright.

Since hedgehogs in Norway are usually seen in the grass in the garden any hedgehog in grass photo will be similar to all other photos of hedgehogs in a garden and also any painting of the same topic, so with this painting almost all photographers could say that my work is similar to theirs. But by using many, many images I can safely say that I have only used idea: in grass which is the choice of the hedgehogs and the anatomy which is God or nature's copyright :-).

I hope you'll enjoy it. You can see that I had to change eye placement and shape of the snout because it was wrong in step 2.

Norwegian Hedgehog in Grass
Acrylics on canvas on wedged frame (ready to hang)
Price: $110 all shipping costs included - SOLD

0 comments: