Tuesday, December 01, 2009

As a teacher one of the things I am most concerned about is whether the children have friends. In my work I try to capture emotions. To do that I often chose very simplistic subjects and styles because I feel that the less realistic, more abstract or even more childish cartoonish styles often shows the emotions better. More realistic paintings of a child alone crying or happy together with friends shows just that; a child alone crying or a happy child with friends.

By abstracting the figure or using some kind of personification the emotion or consept itself stands out more I think. By removing the emotion from a particular face or faces representing individuals the emotion itself is something to relate to more than the person with the emotion. The part that is scary though is that many persons just seeing my paintings next to a realistic nice one could just think it is a bad painting. Used alone as for example illustrations they look great.




Left Behind,
watercolours on watercolour paper
21x30cm
$66
p&p is FREE

0 comments: