Sunday, June 13, 2010

Today I joined a socalled O-Run. I am a new beginner so I should have taken the N-route but me wanting more of a challenge registered on a C-route. By accident I got a A-route map so in the end me a total beginner did a class 4 instead of a class 6 run. Very proud to tell you that I did find all the 10 posts even though I think I spent 60 minutes finding 2 of them nr 3 and 4. hehehe and used more than twice the time the routined ones used. The route master said it was impressive :-) and of course I take such words to my heart.








Unfortunately I got my feet entangled into a long branch and fell heavily on my knees, and that slowed me even more down.


This is what the International Orienteering Fedreation says for those of you that has not been in contact with the sport before:


Foot orienteering is an endurance sport which involves a huge mental element. There is no marked route - the orienteer must navigate with map and compass while running.

Foot orienteering became a recognized Olympic sport in 1977.

Equipment:

RACING SUIT: A lightweight, stretchy suit protects from undergrowth whilst allowing maximum freedom of movement even if it gets soaking wet.

SHOES: Light, strong shoes with non-slip soles allow sure grip on all types of ground - including mud and bare rock.

MAP: The map provided by the organiser shows the course with the control points which must be visited. The map is designed to give detailed information on the terrain - hills, ground surface, and features such as boulders or cliffs.

COMPASS: There is a wide variety of sophisticated compasses to choose from. Basically they can be divided into two main categories: base plate and thumb compasses.

CONTROL CARD: To prove that they have visited all control points in the right order, the orienteers have to punch their control card at each control using an electronic device.

0 comments: